Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Goodbye BBQ Capital of NC……

I’ve made a list of things (not people, so don’t get your panties in a wad) that I’ll miss in North Carolina, a TOP TEN if you will. Drum roll please……

10. Infinite numbers of BBQ restaurants within a 10 mile radius, all proclaiming theirs is better than the other 12 you passed on your way there. I’ll miss “The HoneyMonk” the most. Lexington is famous for its western NC-style BBQ (chopped pork with a vinegar- and tomato-based sauce, usually served on a bun).

9. Door to door salesmen or evangelistic groups knocking on my door on Saturday mornings.

8. Traffic on I-85. (Dang, I’m going to miss all the construction work at the Yadkin bridge.)

7. Mountains. From what I hear Kansas doesn’t have them.

6. The BBQ Festival-one whole day devoted to bbq pork cooked just the right way.

5. Food Lions. Yep, I’m going to miss my Food Lion shopping experiences.

4. Bojangles. Kansas doesn’t have them. :(

3. Cheerwine, available in any store: a single can, 6-pack of bottles, 2 liter, glass bottle, 12 pack, in Slushie form, and even when made into Cheerwine Cake. ($25 just to ship some to Kansas. *sigh*)

2. The shores of the North Carolina coast. The ability to drive 4-6 hours and reach the nearest beach of my choice…Carolina Beach or OBX (North or South).

1. Small towns and the people that live in them. (aka-Tyro, Reeds, & Churchland)


2 comments:

  1. I 100% agree with you on all 10, I could not have said it better myself.. .. We will miss you.. please keep us posted on the cultural agenda in kansas... hugs terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, so i know you are holding a turtle for #2 - since i was there, but it really don't look like a turtle. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete