Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Living on a Military Installation is a lot like being....

Retired.
You heard me right. We've been in our new home for about a month and we're slowly adjusting to life on post. But to admit that it feels like we live in a retirement community is almost embarrassing, but so true.
I had posted a picture on FB of my son, Chris giving the D.A.R.E. mascot a high-five at a USO dinner we attended the first week
we were here.My cousin Liz, said that "I think you live on a resort instead of an Army base!" Almost, but not really. We have a lot of similarities to a retirement community here at the Big Red One. Some "perks" include:
A Gated community with 24/7 Security
Golf course and Driving Range
Neighborhood pools
Shopping-PX, Mini Mall, Shoppettes or the Commissary
Fine Dining-Food Courts at the Mini Mall, Burger King,
Pizza Hut & a Starbucks

Speed Limit 30 mph and under enforced
Fitness centers and gyms
Social Clubs
Arts & Crafts
Sports Leagues
Bowling Alley
Theater
Houses of Worship
Dry Cleaning Services
Barber Shops on every corner
Hair Salon & Spa
Private Hospital and multiple Medical & Dental Clinics
Special Events at our conference center
and of course the BINGO Hall!

Yep, I'm not even 30 and I'm retired. I spend my days crafting, reading books, spending time with my family, knitting, cooking, bike riding, walking the neighborhood (which reminds me to get an awesome track suit to wear) and peering out my door wondering why the MP's are down the street at the neighbor's house. As shameful as I am to admit this, I'm enjoying retirement. :D


1 comment: