Friday, October 23, 2015

Crazy busy.... Or I'm a slacker at blogging.

I apparently took off the spring and summer from blogging. BUT I had several DIY projects in the works. The last one I had posted was the coffee mug wall hanger I like to call "Paradise". Which turned out super functional and pleasing to the eye. Then for a belated Mother's Day gift (since the hubs went on a training mission for a couple weeks), my sweet husband crafted this beautiful console table from plans out of The Handbuilt Home by Ana White. This book has tons of plans and we're slowly building furniture pieces from this book. 
I also did some decorating on the front porch. For the 4th of July I crafted this wooden American flag to hang. All it took was a couple 1x6 boards joined together, wooden stars and a couple pieces of stripping. Then I just stained it all with Mission Oak, leaving it darker or lighter on the areas that needed it. It's a lovely addition to our porch and looks great. Another fun project was the DIY wooden tags to add to my fall wreath. I just cut a couple 1x6's, drilled a hole and hand painted "give thanks" onto the tags. 

After a trip to a local antique store and I found a solid wood door. Pinterest-inspired, I set out to make a corner door shelf. The hubs cut it down the middle, added some shelves, blinged it out with a crystal door knob, cleaned up the original hinges and covered it in a coat of Caribbean Sea. 

My biggest project that consumed my time was what I like to call the "Great Dining Room Redo". I once had yellow chairs surrounding the farmhouse table that the hubs built last year for our 12th anniversary. However, those got a fresh coat of Caribbean Sea, the same color as my console table and door. If you couldn't tell, I love this color! And it matches my Fiesta-ware plates in Peacock.

Then I built this super simple rustic wood planter to house some mason jars and candles. The next addition was the giant chalkboard. I have awful chalkboard art abilities, but I love how I can change out my quotes anytime I like. The final touch in the dining room is the awesome DIY lanterns made from 1x2s, 97¢ glass tumblers, clear adhesive caulking and white candles. The dining room turned out better than I expected and then the next project waiting for the hubs and I to tackle was a new tv stand, since a guilty Weimaraner chewed the MDF corners on the one we had. We once again turned to Ana's book for inspiration and knocked out this beauty in a weekend.  

Future DIY builds we hope to accomplish are 2 matching bookcases to flank the media console, a farmhouse bed frame with storage, a desk for our oldest and an apothecary console for the living room after we redo our second living space off the dining area.  I hope some of these DIY projects have inspired you. Happy DIYing Y'all!






No comments:

Post a Comment