Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What do you know about Chicken Tractors?


So, my Burpee catalogue came in the mail this week. I love fresh produce, but don’t care for the prices some times. I’ve wanted for the last several years to have a garden and harvest my own crops. Yeah-That never happened. So, I try and purchase local produce during the summer. Farmer’s Markets are just fun for me to visit. I enjoy looking at flowers, plants and vegetables, but I do not have a green thumb. Anyway, my Dad and I were looking at the catalogue and began making plans for a small garden with the basics: TOMATOES, PEPPERS, CUCUMBERS, SQUASH, ORKA, and a few others. We also talk about getting other family members to join in with the garden. Then I randomly mention the price of eggs going up and how one of my friends at work built a chicken tractor. I had very little knowledge of what chicken tractors were until I googled it.(Google is a useful tool and now a verb-It’s what you do!) They sound like tiny tractors that chicken ride on. WRONG! My Dad made mention of my own brother building his own chicken tractor, but failed to complete it when his daughter was born. She’s only 6 weeks old, so he’s not that far behind on it. So, I have dreams of a spring season filled with freshly tilled earth, small budding plants, ripen vegetables on the vine and clucking chickens here at the Compound. (My family with the exception of my oldest sister live in a half mile radius all on family land.) I’m not going to hold my breath for this to happen, but it’s something to pass the time.

For you own free 2010 Burpee catalogue, follow this link:
http://www.burpee.com/ancillary/catalogrequest.do

No comments:

Post a Comment