Sunday, December 13, 2009

It’s all about Pie!


2010 will be a big year for us. We’re starting a year off as an Army family and making lots of resolutions. Pie is going to be one of my big resolutions, but I’m not eating this one. Last year, while at work I caught a clip on the Today Show. It intrigued me. I got home and looked on the internet until I found Carmen’s Pie. I printed it off and tried to start shaping my budget into this pie. Yep, we’re talking money. For anyone living paycheck to paycheck, like I had been for the last several years, this was an attention getter! It’s a budget breakdown. Plain, simple and nothing fancy, but it WORKS! It’s how to live within your means. NOT living on caviar wishes and bringing home the bologna budget, then wondering where your money went. Slowly, I started to shape our budget into the predetermined pie slices –Housing 30%, Transportation 18%, Debt 10%, Food 14%, Household 7%, Savings 10% and Everything Else 11%. It was hard, learning what necessities were and what luxuries were. But, I failed the pie. It was hard to fit that square peg in a round hole, but looking back it was slowly taking shape. You just have to knead your dough, spread it out and pay your bills. It reminds me of a delicious strawberry pie my friend, Lori at work had made, so yummy, but so simple. Then I tried to make one and it turned out like crap the first time. I bet if I had kept with it, I would have had the same yummy strawberry pie like she did. It was the same with my budget, if I had stuck with it. If you’re interested in reading the entire article, please check it out. Tomorrow, I’m starting to put my budget together for 2010 and I’m making strawberry pie for desert to celebrate.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/25933653

No comments:

Post a Comment