Monday, December 28, 2009

Okay.....So, I'm a little slow.


Yesterday, my husband and I received this beautiful painting for Christmas. Funny enough that we had just visited this particular lighthouse on Thursday during our Christmas Vacation to the OBX. So, this Christmas present from my mother-in-law has given me the excuse to re-do the master bedroom and bath in a beach theme. (I've been meaning to, but now I have a painting to go on the wall. So it must be done.) I start thinking of color palettes, wainscoting, and crisp white linens on a towel rack. Okay, so I need a project to keep me busy while my husband is in Texas for the next 4 to 5 months.


While thinking about my own re-do, I thought of a friend-another Army wife, who has been thinking of her own themed room when her family gets to their duty station. Tiffany, my friend, who I've met only one time (Who is hilarious, by the way.) wants to do her new kitchen in a movie theme. We may have had this conversation a month ago on Facebook. -Yes, I use the site, we practically lived on the 1/61 battalion page while our husbands were in basic training together. I guess you could say that Tiffany and I are modern day pen pals or something of the equivalent. (By the way, which is really cool. Because... well, it's just really cool.)


Anyway, so she decides to go with a Breakfast at Tiffany's theme for the kitchen. I've never seen the movie. Yes, I guess I've lived in some dark hole. And to top it off I even took a film appreciation class during college and watched Citizen Kane, but not Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Three or four days later, I start thinking about what Tiffany and her kitchen theme. I died laughing instantly. I never put two and two together, until that moment. Her name is Tiffany and you'll have breakfast at Tiffany's if you go to her house early enough. Okay...so, I'm a little slow.


However, this can almost compare to the time that a friend of mine thought that BCG's (basic combat glasses) were a brand of jeans. Tiffany calls me a week after our husband's graduations and realizes that she has no idea what BCGs are. Her husband and I have to explain the following.


GI glasses
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


BCGs, mid 1990s design.GI glasses are eyeglasses issued by the American military to its service members. Dysphemisms for them include the most common birth control glasses (alternatively birth control goggles, or birth control device) sometimes shortened as BC goggles/glasses, BCGs, BCDs, or simply BCs. For women the appellation was expanded to include the nickname RPGs, in the late 1980s, which referred to the glasses ability to scare off would be rapists, hence Rape Prevention Glasses;


There is a time when everyone can be a true blonde and Tiffany and I have had our share of blonde moments. And let me tell you, the Soldiers above are not our husbands. Neither of them wear BCG's. Thank God!

2 comments:

  1. Actually the title of Breakfast at Tiffany's came from the fact that Holly Golightly, the lead character played by the wonderful and amazingly talented Audrey Hepburn, would eat a danish as she looked into the window of Tiffany & Co. (premier jewelery)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting fact there Mandi. Thanks for that random tidbit of useless knowledge that will forever be stuck in my head. :D

    ReplyDelete