Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Just finished a wonderful book....now my review...


So, I've been reading "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell. I must admit, that 1/4 of the way through her book I ran out and picked up a copy of Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". But, I haven't even opened the book and looked through the pages. No, it sits in a box in the closet waiting it's turn to be wrapped for Christmas. I read the book and fell in love with the story, it's all about Adventure. To make this book an even better read, you would first need to know that as a child we didn't have cable in our home, just public access...THREE channels. Okay, maybe eight, but that's not the point. Anyway, PBS was always on...This Old House, Sesame Street, NOVA, and Julia Child. So, my sister Julie (per coincident with the names, but makes it funnier too.) would always do this great impression of Julia Child, while holding a wine glass filled with milk, water, anything non-alcoholic while standing at the island in the kitchen. A guaranteed laugh from anyone in our family. So, while reading this book, my sister's impersonation of Julia was the voice for Julia. Now, the voice of the main character Julie, was also supplied by my sister Julie, just her regular voice. If you've read the book, Julie Powell has a very colorful language. Well, so does my sister. So, I'm reading "Julia & Julie" imagining my sister's voice and impersonation to go along with it and I have hysterical laughing fits and have to put the book down. So, I know that I'll never cook every single recipe in that book, however I learned a trick from Julia via Julie before even cracking open MtAoFC. I can cook about anything. This morning I decided to make an omelet, per the direction of Julie's interpretation of Child's way. I must say, that was a damn fine omelet Julia Child.

No comments:

Post a Comment